What should you do if the power is out and the garage door will not open automatically? Is it time to panic? No.
Following these simple steps you can open and close your garage door manually with confidence.
To Open Your Garage Door Manually:
- Make sure that your garage door is fully closed. A quick question to ask would be if the garage door appears to be in the correct spot, the same as when it closes automatically?
- Disconnect the power for the garage door opener. This will prevent risks associated with the electrical motorized components for your electronic garage door opener.
- Pull down on the emergency cord to disconnect the door from the garage door opener. On most garage doors this is a red rope with a handle on the end. Upon pulling, the manual release will disengage the trolley from the attachment on the rail. The garage door will then be in manual mode. Please be careful! When the garage door is up it could come crashing down.
- Lift the garage door straight up until the door is fully open. Verify that the garage door will remain open before leaving it unattended. As an additional caution for safety, please also make sure that you watch your little ones and keep them away from the garage door at this time.
- As long as the garage door springs are correctly balanced the garage door will open easily with the lift handles and stay in place. If for whatever reason you find the garage door difficult to open, contact a professional technician like Accent Garage Doors to check the garage door to avert any potential damage or posed safety risks.
To Close You Garage Door Manually:
- Close the door manually until it reaches the floor.
- Lock the door. When the automatic opener is disconnected the door is not securely shut until you manually slide the lock bar.
- Reconnect the opener when the power comes back on. Make sure the door is unlocked when the opener is reconnected. Electrically opening the garage door with the lock bar in place can cause major damage.
Is There a Solution?
One way to alleviate challenges associated with the loss of power in your home would be to invest in an automatic garage door opener with backup power. Ask us to help you select an appropriate automatic garage door opener that would fulfill those requirements.
Accent Garage Doors is a Utah based company specializing in all things garage doors servicing the entire Wasatch front. Accent Garage Doors specializes in garage door repair, installation, and maintenance.
When you think Garage Doors, think Accent Garage Doors.